Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Week 5- Smart Boards

Last week in class we had the opportunity to learn a bit about SMART Boards, and related technology that can be used in the classroom. Before this presentation, I had never seen a smart board. I had no idea what they looked like, or what the actual purpose of them was. I figured it was just another gadget, and would not have any real merit for classroom use. After seeing the presentation I have changed my thinking a bit. I found them very interesting, and could certainly see how they would be useful in the classroom. Although I'm still not sure exactly how to use them, if given the opportunity I would certainly try.
We discussed some of the advantages of the SMART Board such as the fact that they are interactive, and therefore would be very useful for presentations. The board can also accommodate different learning styles, and it is very engaging for students. Research shows that students enjoy watching presentations that are done on a SMART board, and they like being able to work with them. This is important because student engagement should always be a teacher’s number one goal. If the student is enjoying the lesson, they are more likely to learn. Although they can be engaging for students, it is important to make sure that they are not distracting. The board cannot be the main focus of the lesson, content must still be a priority. Many of the SMART boards are also mobile, and if there is limited computer use, the board would be a great tool.
A downside to the SMART boards is that they can be complicated to learn how to use. One of the main disadvantages is the cost. They are very expensive, and many schools cannot justify spending the money to have them in the school. Also, if there are only a few boards in a school, many teachers may not find it worthwhile to take the time to learn how to use the board, and would not want to worry about designing lessons to incorporate the board. I agree with this. If I had a SMART board in my classroom to use all the time, I would certainly incorporate it into my lessons. If I had to share with other staff members, worry about booking time with the board, and learn how to use a somewhat complicated piece of technology that I did not get to use every day, I would not likely take the time to do so.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree that I think SMART boards can be beneficial to the classroom and I also like the fact that they cannot be broken as easy as a Ipad. I also don't think that I would use them though if I had to book it in my school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally would not take the time to learn how to use a smartboard properly and to have to book it can become to much. they can be beneficial but can also be a lot of hassle

    ReplyDelete